Saturday, December 09, 2006

Forever Faithful Tatonka


One day, about 8 years ago from today, he came into my life. We met at the Santa Monica farmers market. He was hanging out with his sisters all adorned in Christmas gear. A shiny ribbon around his neck and beautiful big loving eyes. We took a moment to meet each other and it was sealed. Tatonka was free to a good home, so he came home with me.

He is half yellow lab and half german shepard and was an angel from the start. Only once did he ever start to chew on a shoe. I think he was just carrying it when I scolded him with a sharp, "NO!" That was that and he never picked up another shoe. The first time he walked toward a curb, again a verbal warning and he came right back to me.

He has traveled quite a bit with me and is a love. All the kids love him. And him? He loves the tennis ball more than anything. A stick will do, or more like a twig at times. Tatonka can and enjoys cold water where he is breaking the thin layer of ice. Once while I was running with the dogs (I have another dog, Kira) he was bitten by a rattlesnake, but he is a tough dog and had immediate medical care. I thought I would lose him, but was so happy at how well he recovered.

Tonight he is in a nearby animal hospital. He had gone many days without really eating or drinking, was very lethargic and then started to look perky. The next day he was gone. That was a week ago tomorrow. Looked for him all over, but to no avail. Finally I was trying to accept the fact that he took The Walk. It saddened me to think of him alone in the cold, being that we have had freezing temperatures. Attila goes between anguish an anger.

Yesterday a neighbor called. Tatonka was still alive, but very weakened. This morning the Vet, who has been in the business for 30 some-odd years, gives Tatonka a small percentage to recover no matter how much money I had. So he is on IV's for the weekend and come Monday if there is no change in his condition, I will say good-bye to my dear friend. If he is better, then bloodwork and x-rays will be the next step.

I am not ready to lose this Faithful companion, but I am less ready to let him suffer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home