Friday, November 24, 2006

Thankful for the Little Ones


Last year we had a fire that destroyed or damaged 95% of all we had. Including our home, a 40 foot storage container, a truck, and the shop/shed . We woke up, not because of a fire alarm, but more than likely the rumbling blaze that had taken over the front porch. After getting the little ones outside the door, I went in to get a cell phone and their blankets (only 2 out of 3). I did not think of the car keys at that time or computers or even the back up disks. Quickly we moved over to the neighbors yard and I went back to get more items. Very hot, thick black smoke came pouring out of the door, so I thought that I would hold my breath and go in. After opening the door again and sticking my face in, I thought whatever else that was left in the house would stay there and I would stay alive for my children.

The neigbors were wonderful, and so was the volunteer fire department ( they even found one burnt key that went to the one non-burnt vehicle). In the following days the community was really supportive. Family was a great relief and very helpful. A local group of girl scouts used their cookie money to buy important and useful items. For young women, but really still girls, they were amazing and I am grateful and proud of them for being so thoughtful. They have even given us Thanksgiving dinner, because they have kept us in their thoughts. For all involved, thank you.

From all this one realizes even more strongly that stuff is stuff. At no point were my children burnt or chased by smoke, and this is something I am thankful for daily. We have move a few times and camped a bunch and they know that no matter where we are, as long as we are together as a family we are home. Attila was really the only one vocally aware of the destruction of the fire. It was not until a couple of weeks after the fire that he spoke up declaring his hatred for the fire. Normally I don't want him just hating because he is upset with something, but I let him go with it. He said that he would "Kill the fire." When I asked him how, he very seriously said that he would do it "With Firemen."

I love that!

1 Comments:

Blogger J.J. said...

wow i didn't know all that. thank god you are all well in and happy spirits:)

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home