Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tatonka Leaves Us

This past year brought the end of two amazing relationships.  The first, my faithful Tatanka.  He was love in a big beige bundle.  From the moment our eyes met we were meant to journey, and it was good.  We traveled, played, ate together and took care of each other.  The day he passed, he looked at me to tell me what was going to happen.  As I took his head in my hands, we pressed our foreheads together, and I apologized for his pain. 

Soon I was getting ready for work, and as I was almost out the door, there was liquid, and as I looked further, there he was, peaceful and no longer with me.  It was not possible, yet there he was, and yet it seemed that he would take a breath, every so often.   Thankfully I had a first period prep, called the school, and then my dear friend Joan.  She and her husband came over immediately, and she, working with a veterinarian, confirmed his demise.  Larry helped me dig the grave, carry my loving boy out, and helped me bury him, then said a lovely prayer. 

Then, as the world continues to turn, I rushed off to work, returned home and began the mourning ritual, which was full of beautiful memories. 

As a puppy this little ball of fur was my hero and helped me move from a poor situation.  Forever the tennis ball, as I believe that was his only vice, yet we never could find the tennis ball anonymous meeting as it was always TBA. 

We saw much beauty together.  Hikes in the hills of Pasadena, Sturtevant Falls to be specific.  Mostly we ran on the trails in Palos Verdes, where he danced with a rattle snake.  Some other favorite spots included the beach at Zuma and in Santa Barbara, and Figueroa Point just out of Los Olivos, where we camped under the stars.  When we took off for a 2 week car camping trip up through Utah to Montana, and across to Seattle, and down the coast, we found beautiful places and all with water for him to play, letting out his inner water dog. 

He came into my life most unexpectedly, as I was at the Santa Monica Farmers' Market, there was a laundry basket full of yummy little puppies.  I was no stranger to baby animals, as I spent much time visiting the shelter, just to say hello, and had no burning desire to bring every stray home.  Yet there he was, looking at me; we looked for a long time and loved from the first moment, so he came home. 

That is when he met Kira, the black beauty, his mentor, and companion.  She is the second one to have passed on this last year and will be honored in another post.

Forever Faithful Tatonka Thank You Love




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You’ve done well.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home